Have you seen Calderdale Council’s Winterwise booklet, delivered to all households in Calderdale? This booklet is also available online here. It is divided into useful sections such as the following information on preparing your home for winter to give you peace of mind during severe weather conditions:
- Clearing paths & snow code – Clearing paths of ice and snow will help you and your neighbours. Follow the national snow code at www.metoffice.gov.uk
- Heating – Keep your room temperature between 18-21°C. Information and advice about switching to different energy tariffs and insulation is available by calling 01422 288001.
- Vulnerable neighbours – Check on older neighbours or relatives. Offer assistance when needed, such as clearing paths, moving bins or collecting essential food or prescriptions. Remember to stay socially distanced.
- Stock up on items – Stock up on non-perishable items, such as tinned food, nappies and baby milk.
- Animals – Ensure that you have enough animal food to last several days. Don’t leave them outside in cold weather.
- Heating oil – If you use oil, LPG, wood products or solid fuel make sure that you have a sufficient supply. The Buy Oil Early campaign highlights benefits, including lower prices and prompt delivery. www.acre.org.uk Preparing your home for winter will give you peace of mind during severe weather conditions.
You could be eligible for £140 off your electricity bill for winter 2020/21, see: www.gov.uk/the-warm-home-discount-scheme Citizen’s Advice Bureau provide affordable warmth solutions for Calderdale families struggling with fuel bills. Call 07436 408323 to arrange a telephone appointment with your local energy advisor.