- Only buy fireworks marked BS 7114
- It is Illegal to sell fireworks to anyone under the age of 18.
- Never go near a firework that has been lit. Even if it hasn’t gone off, it could still explode.
- Never give sparklers to children under the age of 5.
- Never return to a firework once it has been lit.
- Remember, it is illegal to let off fireworks after 11.00pm on any date except 5 November which is extended to midnight.
- Never burn household rubbish, rubber tyres, or anything containing plastic, foam or paint.
- Never use petrol, paraffin or other flammable liquids and never put used fire works, aerosols, foam-filled furniture, batteries, tins of paint or tyre’s on a bonfire.
- If you dump waste where it is not permitted you can face very large fines and even be sent to prison. If you see fly tipping you can report it to Calderdale Council on 0845 245 7000 . Remember fly tipping is illegal.
Useful contact numbers
West Yorkshire Police (non emergencies): 101
West Yorkshire Fire Service: 0800 587 4536
Halifax Central Initiative: 01422 365 948
Calderdale Council Customer First: 0845 245 6000