Burglaries can often increase during the Autumn and Winter months, when the darker nights arrive.
However, crime prevention doesn’t have to cost a lot of money – taking simple measures such as locking your doors and windows, not leaving valuables on display and using your alarm can significantly reduce your chances of being a victim.
Here are some simple steps to make your home more secure.
- Always lock your doors and windows, even when you’re at home
- Always take the key out of the lock and keep it in a safe place, do not leave it in reach of the letterbox, a cat flap or where it can be seen through a window
- Invest in timer light switches, and set lights to come on and go off in your home – using low energy light bulbs
- Make sure items such as car keys, laptops, tablets, phones and cash cannot be seen through a window
- Do not leave power cables or charger units for laptops and tablets plugged in and on show
Make sure Euro cylinder locks have achieved – TS 007 (3 star rating) or Sold Secure Diamond Standard for lock cylinders (SS312).
- If you have a burglar alarm always remember to switch it on when you leave the house or when you go to bed
- Why not start a Neighbourhood Watch Scheme in your area